- Worldwide, there are more than 1.5 billion active Facebook users, a 23 percent increase from March 2012. (1)
- 4.5 billion likes generated daily as of May 2013 – a 67 percent increase from August 2012. (1)
- 699 million people log onto Facebook daily, a 26 percent increase from 2012. (1)
- 16 million local business pages have been created as of May 2013, a 100 percent increase from 8 million in June 2012. (1)
- By 2020, 76% of business travel ROOM NIGHTS booked will be by Generation Y and Gen X travelers(2).
- By 2018 Gen Y will have $2.5 trillion in earnings, surpassing the Boomers.(3)
- In 2010 75% of Millennials had a profile on one or more social networks. (4)
Facebook is a valuable tool for reaching your target audience right now. The local and national businesses, transient travelers, associations and groups with whom you are trying to connect are likely on these networks and interacting daily.
As Gen Y moves in to the workforce, reaching them via social media will be more important than ever. Now is the time to establish your presence and connect with Gen X and Y.
Do your competitors have a presence on Facebook? Using the platform consistently can help you grow awareness of your property in the local, regional and national scene.
Other Stats to Consider
- Google+: 1.03 Billion registered users almost doubled in the last year
- Twitter: 500 Million registered users
- Instagram: 150 Million registered users
- Pinterest: 70 Million registered users
How much of your target market is actively using these social media platforms? Could you reach them with a comprehensive social media plan?
(2)Source: Lodging Strategic Insights,” DK Shifflett & Associates, September 12, 2012
(3)Harris Interactive and Deloitte, 2011 via Edelman 8095 Refreshed
(4)Pew, 2010. Sample is US